1. Set a definite time for going to bed and arising and keep it, regardless of what your perceived need for sleep seems to be.
2. Set a regular time for meals, and keep it.
3. Absolutely no napping; stay up during non-set times no matter what.
4. NEVER stay in bed when you can’t sleep. Get up and do something until you feel tired or until your set time for arising occurs.
5. Exercise every day, but not in the evening or late at night.
6. Use the bedroom for sleep and sex only. Remove telephone, computer, magazines, etc.
7. Eliminate all stimulants caffeine (coffee, tea, cola drinks, chocolate, diet pills, decongestants, energy compounds, etc.).
8. Cover the clock. Do not allow yourself to check the time at any point during the night.
9. Read a complicated or boring book.
10. Make a list of things you have to do tomorrow before going to bed.
11. Use Progressive Muscle Relaxation. Beginning with your feet and working your way up your body, tighten and release each muscle group.